I’m thankful for… investors
In church on Sunday, our pastor was talking about Paul and Timothy and the mentoring relationship that they had. With Thanksgiving almost here, it got me thinking about all the people in my life (aside from my family) who have taken the time to invest in me. Some have been teachers, Sunday school teachers, friends, or just people that cared.
I’m thankful for my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Johnson, who asked to have my transferred into her homeroom because she wanted me. She challenged me from a young age and never left me in my brother’s shadow.
I’m thankful for my AWANA leaders, Randy and Cheryl Surrat, who encouraged me to memorize Bible verses. They quizzed me and drilled our team for Bible competitions. Those verses still come to mind even now.
I’m thankful for my 7th grade teacher, Mrs. Cranford, who saw my potential and increased my interest in literature and grammar. At age 13, she told us that whenever one of her students was a valedictorian she would come to their graduation. And four years later, out of state, she came to hear my speech.
I’m thankful for my best friends, Miranda and Mandy, who God gave me as a preteen and teenager to learn who I was and to encourage me to be real. They encourage me to be myself, value myself, and remember who I am in Christ. They are special to me, after 15 years of friendship.
I’m thankful for the youth pastor, Bob Boyd, and the youth leader, Lajuana Jordan, that took time to ask me questions and to answer my questions. They held me accountable and continued to teach my by words and actions.
I’m thankful for my high school Spanish, English, and Bible teacher, Mrs. Sherwood. She challenged me like no other teacher I had. She knew what I was capable of as a student and as a Christian teenager and she challenged me to my best, to pursue and work for nothing less.
I’m thankful for my high school softball coach, Coach Atkins. He was always willing to listen and talk with me. He wasn’t afraid to tell me what I needed to hear whether I liked it or not. As a teenager, there were times in my life that I need someone (not a parent) to shoot straight with me.
I’m thankful for our newlyweds Sunday school teachers, Rick and Martha, who taught us a lot about marriage our first 2 years. They led our Bible studies and shared their own experiences to help us learn.
I’m thankful for my mentor in Charlottesville, Karen, who took time to show me tricks of the trade. She would come in my room and spend an hour going over lesson plans and sharing ideas with me.
I could go on and on but these are some of the people in my life who have made a difference in who I am today and I am so thankful for their presence in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment