I’m thankful for … the things I’ve never known
It’s quite a different perspective but it has come from my teaching in an inner city school. There are so many blessings in my life. This Thanksgiving, as I think about all God has blessed me with I realize how thankful I am for things I have never experienced.
I’m thankful I’ve never known the pain or fear of an abusive parent. I’ve never worried that my mom or dad would hit, punch, or hurt me in any way. I have never been afraid to go home, no matter what I'd done.
I’m thankful I’ve never known true hunger. I have food on my table. I get to eat breakfast, lunch, and supper everyday with snacks built in between. I don’t leave school on Friday filling up at lunchtime because I know I won’t eat again until I get back on Monday.
I’m thankful I’ve never known poverty. I do not go to bed at night worried about staying warm. I have clothes, coats, and shoes that keep me from getting cold when I go out. I have a home with heat, heaters, electric blankets, and flannel sheets. I don’t know what it is like to not be able to sleep because I’m so cold.
I’m thankful I’ve never known the pain of divorce. My parents and their marriage are priceless to me. I’m thankful they have passed those values and priorities on to me. They are willing to share their lives with their 4 children to help us learn from them to avoid that pain in our own lives through the power and protection of Christ.
I’m thankful I’ve known very little pain in my life. God has blessed me so much. I have never even been in the hospital for a broken bone or minor surgery. My family is happy and healthy. I know life will have its trials and hardships but I’m thankful that at 25 years old I have not had to face even half of the things that my 6 year olds at school have already experienced.
I am so thankful for God’s protection. He has given me such a blessed life and I thank Him for all He has given me and all He has kept me from.
No comments:
Post a Comment