Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween! This is probably my least favorite holiday of the year. I'm just not into it as an adult. However, this has been the funnest Halloween I've had in a while. I think there is something about teaching kindergarten that makes you feel like a kid again. We did pumpkin week this week. We used a pumpkin theme for math, reading, and science. The kids loved it.
To close the week we "carved" a pumpkin. I don't like the smell or sliminess of a pumpkin any more now than when I was a kid. Thankfully my assistant, Mrs. Lilly, did a lot of the cutting and gross stuff while I taught and took pictures. We took the slime and seeds out and put it on a plate for the kids to touch and smell. Just to show how bright kindergartners are - they loved the smell and wanted to smell it again. Ugh! Most of them even enjoyed the goo!
We decided not to carve a face on our pumpkin. So Mrs. Lilly brought in faces for the kids to choose from, cat or bear or pig. They got to vote and the pig won by five votes. We put his ears, eyes, ans snout on. Meet Mr. Pumpkin Pig! My kids went crazy and they think he is part of the class. They like to rub his head and talk to him. It's so cute.

It was a wonderful lesson and as much fun for me as for the kids. Here's a picture of the class - Mrs. Lilly, me, and Mr. Pumpkin Pig included. The Halloween party we had with five year olds is a whole different blog! Happy Halloween!


No comments: