Field trip! What comes to mind when you hear those words? Fun, excitement, out of school?! Well, for me the words fear, work, nerves, and oh boy come to mind.
Let's try again! Field trip! What images do you have in your head? I see 3 or 4 parents plus me with small groups of four or five children walking around looking and exploring. That's the way I've always done it...
But not anymore! Me and one parent! One parent! Took my class to the Asheboro zoo. Now I don't know about you but that is a pretty big place an very easy to lose one of my wild little students. As the reality of this trip kicked in Wednesday and Thursday I got so nervous.
The students don't listen in the classroom or the hall. What in the world makes me think I'm going to take them out in open outdoor space, with lots of animals, lots of people, an lots of excitement and all of a sudden they are going to listen. Like for example to stop when I say stop.
Me and one parent just wasn't enough. What if I leave one behind? What if one goes ahead? How will I keep them all together? I got very anxious about this. Until I got a text from a friend saying she was "roping" her kids. And she did.
So Thursday night at 8:30 I go to Wal-Mart and buy a 50 foot rope. Then I come home and use my handy Duck tape to make loops or handles on the rope. So the handles are 2 feet apart with a one foot loop. So on Friday morning I introduce the "Magic Rope" game. Our goal is to hold on the rope and not let go. Our mission is to beat Mrs. Ferguson's class by being better at the "Magic Rope" game.
And yes, that is the joy of six year olds. They fell for it. While they were exhausted and whiny and ready to sit down by the end of the day I never lost one, left one behind or even had to chase one. Now with just two adults, I consider that pretty successful!
And all the to great idea of Allison Ferguson! Thank you!
2 comments:
LOL at how you got them to "beat" my class....who's competitive NOW? :) So glad it worked for you and so glad no one was lost. I do have to say it was a major improvement over last year- the only times I had trouble were when they were NOT on the rope. Interesting! ;) Have a great weekend!
Good Job!!!Now that is a major accomplishment!!
Post a Comment