Martin Luther King Day is something to look forward to. I really enjoy the day off from school and the break from my students. It is also interesting to think back over the schools I have been in while teaching about MLK. (Note: I have been teaching for 5 years and have been in 4 different schools with all our moves!) This year it began by one of the kids asking, "Why is there a picture of Obama on our calendar?"
Two years ago during my first year in Charlottesville, we were learning about Martin Luther King and one of my kids asked me what a black person was. The kids thought it was someone with black hair. We had to find a couple of black people in our school to explain the my students the difference.
However, this year during my first year in Winston-Salem we were learning about Martin Luther King and I am in a room with 21 students watching a video about MLK and how white people thought they were better than black people. It was this awkward time when a student (halfway through the year) realizes I'm the only white person in the room. However, the my kids were quite disturbed by the fact that they didn't know where the Hispanic students would have gone to school back then because they aren't white or black!
It has been interesting to see how different the schools are and what different things students know about MLK. One thing is for sure, no matter where I am, they always seems to say something that makes me giggle. What was MLK important? "He died - somebody shooted him."
1 comment:
THat's funny!
Post a Comment