Sunday, August 23, 2009

Who'd Have Thought

We are all so excited to have a baby in the family. Jay and Sarah are doing great and make wonderful parents. They are adjusting to the little sleep, the dirty diapers, and the tons of visitors wanting to see Dayla. This weekend Mom and Dad came down and Jay, Sarah, and Dayla came over. Grammy, Pappy, Aunt Fer Fer, and Uncle Jared got to keep Dayla for a couple of hours while Jay and Sarah finally had some alone time. We all enjoyed it.

After their date we had supper at our house. Mom and Dad brought steaks for us to celebrate Dayla. We grilled steaks and had baked potatoes, salad, and cookies. It was so good. But with a baby come lots of changes...for everyone.

I have very cool, calm, level headed parents. They were both really excited to find out Jay and Sarah were going to have a baby. They were both looking forward to her getting her. I figured Mom would go crazy over a grand baby and really enjoy it. Dad kept saying like, "She's just another baby." or "She won't do anything for a while." Well, the first time he saw her all that flew out the window. He is one soft Pappy.

At supper Saturday night I saw something that I have never seen in 25 years. While at supper, my mom would get up, cut about 10 pieces of steak for my dad, and then she would sit back down. He would eat those steak pieces and some potato. Then when it was gone, Mom would get back up and cut more steak. Now from the outside looking in you would think he was one spoiled man. But at a closer glance you realize it has nothing to do with Mom or Dad. Take a real close look in his left arm.

That's right. Mom was cutting Dad's steak because he wouldn't put his granddaughter down so he could do it himself. I was absolutely amazed. I know people say grandparents do things like that but I never thought it would get my parents. So quickly. They're both smitten. And neither one can deny it. We have officially entered a whole new world...grandparents. I imagine it will only bring more surprises.

1 comment:

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

My parents are exactly the same way! They love Harper much more than Taylor & I now... They just can't get over her, no matter how often they see her!