I have a feeling it is going to be one of those days when in the first 30 minutes of the day one of my top three students is already in time out. To protect the guilty we’ll call her Princess.
Princess came in this morning and would not sit down. She was crawling on the floor, turning around backwards in her chair, and disturbing everyone around here. This is super unusual for her so I asked what was wrong and she said nothing but continued acting up. I gave her a warning to stop, she didn’t, so she went to time out where she started sitting on the desk, and standing in the chair. Next I called her mom who of course I didn’t get. I just left Princess in timeout and told her she could join the group when she could act right.
We’ll skip ahead about half an hour when the assistant principal comes in for an informal observation. We’ve just finished reading our story and the kids are writing about their favorite thing that happened in the story. I went to talk with Princess and here’s an idea of how the conversation went:
Me: I don’t know why you are acting like this today but if you continue then you can leave with the assistant principal when he leaves and you can go to the office. Is that what you want?
Princess nods her head yes.
Me: You WANT to go to the office.
Princess nods her head yes again.
Me: Do you want to go sit in the office and have the assistant principal call your mom? Do you want to get in trouble? Why would you want to go to the office?
Princess: Because I don’t know what it looks like in there!!! The boys get to go in there all the time and I’ve never been.
REALLY? Wow! This was a new one for me. So after a promise to give her a quick tour of the office one day this week she promised to stop acting up and that was that. Who would have ever thought. I sure wouldn’t!
1 comment:
You obviously know how to work with that age! I wouldn't have thought to offer to give her a tour...that's a great idea:)
Post a Comment