Saturday, July 16, 2011

New Light

I have been amazed how having a baby has put a very new light on Bible stories that I have heard since I was a kid. It has given me a different perspective of God, his love, and the faithfulness of Old and New Testament believers!

I love kids. I have since I was little. I used to love to play with kids and to babysit. Then I enjoyed tutoring and so teaching was a natural choice for a profession. But having my own kids, that’s my dream. The more, the merrier!

Now as a parent, these Bible stories mean so much more. Abraham – the faith that he had to even be willing to take Isaac up to sacrifice him. I can't imagine. Now my new fascination is with Hannah, the mother of Samuel – the man who appointed Saul and then David as kings.

Hannah prayed and prayed for a baby. She promised God that if He would give her a baby then she would give him back to God. He answered her prayer and gave her Samuel. She kept him until he was weaned which in that time was between the ages of two and three. Then she took him to the temple to live and learn from Eli.

Two or three years!!!! That was all! Mothers want what is best for their babies but many times that includes them being a part of it. I know for me, I want what is best for our son. I want to teach and raise him with values, a strong sense of right and wrong, and a love for God and desire to serve Him. I pray that God allows me to be a huge part of that molding and that I will be as trusting in Him as Hannah!

No comments: